Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

French Fried Onion Straws

It's Sunday.  I love making family dinners on Sundays.  Makes no difference to me if it is for twelve or two dinner guests, I love the Sunday dinner.  Most of the time I have all the necessary ingredients for the meal on hand.  I am really not into milk and whatever runs to the grocery market.  Today, Sunday dinner is Baked Ham.  Since I am making a ham dinner, perfect side dish is the Green Bean Casserole.  A friend from across the ocean wanted to know how to make the green bean casserole she has heard Americans raving about as a popular holiday meal side dish.  You know THE Green Bean Casserole with the French Fried Onions topping?  Only, I do not have the French Fried Onions in the famous can.  Nor can my friend find them in her grocery aisles.  No problem.  Easy and quick to make French Fried Onion Straws / Rings.
Start with a large Sweet Vidalia Onion sliced very thin.
Soak in approximately 1 cup buttermilk.  No buttermilk? *See above regarding trip to market...add 1 teaspoon white vinegar to milk.  Soak onions in milk 30 minutes.  Don't ya love milk in a glass bottle?  At the end of 30 minutes dredge onion straws and slices in flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
Shake the onion straws from excess flour and gentle put in hot (350degrees) canola oil. I don't deep fry these, I shallow fry them until golden brown.  Drain onion straws on paper towels..
In casserole mix green beans and cream of mushroom soup.  Top with French Fried Onion Straws.  bake in oven at 350 degrees until hot, approimately 20 minutes.
Serve warm.
 yum!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment