Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

Frozen Assets

Freezing Green Peppers
The harvest season begins with stocking the freezer today. Green Peppers are a freezer staple in our house. The green peppers add a touch of summertime to soups, sauces and stews in the chilly winter months.  The green peppers are my "go to" for a quick meal of
Stuffed Peppers or Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Peppers. Yum!
Wash the green peppers under running water. Cut the peppers in half, remove the stem, clean out the inside seeds. Put pepper halves in a pan of boiling water to blanch for 3 minutes.
Remove peppers after 3 minutes and immediately cool them in cold water 3 more minutes to stop the cooking.
 
Remove the peppers from the ice water and dry the pieces with a towel. I place the peppers flat on a baking sheet and freeze prior to putting the portions I want into freezer bags and storing them in my freezer.

*Kansas State Research and Extention info sweet or bell peppers can be frozen without blanching. I make the choice to blanch my peppers.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tip! I love stuffed peppers and will have to try this to enjoy them in the winter:)

    ReplyDelete